Coughing, sneezing, sore throat, fevers, tiredness…..Don’t struggle through another Flu Season! Flu vaccines are now in stock. Please contact the surgery to arrange an appointment to get your yearly flu vaccine.
If you have flu like symptoms, the following steps are advised:
- stay at home- if possible, avoid going to school/work until symptoms have subsided to minimize the spread of germs.
- practice good hygiene – wash your hands with soap and water regularly or use hand sanitizing gel, cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough, dispose of tissues quickly
- avoid contact with high risk patients such as the elderly/ infants, hospitals and aged care facilities
- rest as much as possible and drink plenty of fluids
- wipe over surfaces such as phones and keyboards with disinfectant
It is advisable that people who are in high risk groups be vaccinated against Influenza. These groups include:
- Over 65 years of age, or over 50 years if Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander
- People who suffer from chronic disease such as heart conditions, diabetes, kidney or lung disease
- Children with congenital heart defects
- People whose immune system is compromised (those who are on therapy which lowers immunity eg chemotherapy)
- Residents of nursing homes or aged care facilities
- Women who will be in second or third trimester of pregnancy during the flu season (April-September)
Keep healthy this Flu season, get vaccinated now! Please contact the surgery to arrange an appointment to get your vaccine.